Chances are you are either playing Pokémon Go or can’t seem to find people who aren’t playing Pokémon Go. People can’t seem to get enough Rattatas or Pidgeys. However, did you know that you can catch Pokémon while also helping your kids at the same time? If you’re playing Pokémon Go (which, let’s be real, you are), here are a few ways to play and benefit your local children’s hospital:
1. Become a human billboard and wear a Miracle Band (which you can snag for free). Use these as an ice breaker. “Why am I wearing this? Did you know children's hospitals need support….”
2. Drop off lures for the pediatric patients at your local children’s hospital. Kids in hospitals want to play Pokémon Go, too. Wait! Before you do this, ask. Make sure to run this by hospital staff. While your intentions might be good, HIPPA and safety are extremely important factors to consider. If dropping off lures at the hospital isn’t an option, leave them at Dairy Queen locations on Thursday, July 28 for #MiracleTreatDay (August 11 in Canada.)
Photo from AZCentral.com
3. When you meet new people around a gym or PokéStop, don’t be afraid to bring up the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals program "Extra Life," the fundraiser for gamers of all types. They can register for free at extra-life.org and chances are Pokémon Go isn’t the only game they enjoy playing!
4. Organize a PokéWalk with members of your community to raise awareness for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. The Albany Extra Life Guild in New York recently organized a PokéWalk of their own and recruited — drumroll, please — 130 new Extra Lifers! If you are interested in organizing one at a park, be sure to talk with your local parks director to learn more about the rules and regulations of the particular area.
5. Reach out to local businesses along your walking route, local PokéStops, or near your gyms. If they are already offering special deals for Pokémon Go players or seeing m more traffic from players, they might be more receptive to joining or supporting Children's Miracle Network Hospitals in some way.
Pokémon Go has brought people together in new and fascinating ways. What better way to enjoy the game than to bring Children's Miracle Network Hospitals with you when you meet other people who are playing? Let’s get out there, have fun, and fight for the kids.